Minutes for USAFA Gold Class Spirit Committee
Call to Order
The initial meeting of USAFA Gold Class Spirit Committee was held on July 14, 2019 via conference call. It began at 8:00 EST/5:00 PST and was presided over by Teri Williams and Katie Silvis, Co-Presidents, with Julie Konkol as Secretary.
Voting members in attendance included:
- Teri Williams
- Katie Silvis
- Jean Simons Anderson
- Dan Cabo
- Julie Konkol
- Tiffani Wills
- Michelle Kay
- Alice Patton
- Natalie Dennis
Guests In Attendance
- David Amstutz
Members not in attendance included:
- Stacy Prater
- Stacey Pohl
- Tami Kruse
- Chuck Ahner
Approval of Minutes
There were no minutes to approve, as this was the initial meeting.
Teri Williams presented the Purpose of this organization. The sole purpose of the USAFA Gold Class Spirit Committee is to design, produce, and deliver four coins to the Class of 2023 for the following major milestones: Recognition, Exemplar, Commitment, and Graduation. The committee may also provide funds for cadet activities: Ring Dance, 100’s Night, Dennis P. Rando Cadet Humanitarian Fund ($2023/year), AOG 2023 Class Funds (post-graduation), and any additional funds as requested by Class of 2023. The Spirit Committee should not impact nor interfere with cadet activities or training in anyway. History indicates the estimated cost of the four coins is $50,000-$60,000. Donations for class rings is not allowed and considered an interference in cadet activities. Excess funds after the four years go to the AOG for class reunions.
Teri Williams presented the Roles in this organization.
- Co-Presidents: Katie Silvis, Teri Williams
- Katie (Secretary, Volunteer/Activities, Fundraising)
- Teri (Communications, Finance, Design)
- Vice-President: Jean Simons Anderson
- Finance: Dan Cabo, Stacy Prater
- Secretary: Julie Konkol, Stacy Pohl
- Communications: Michelle Kay, Tiffani Wills
- Design: Tami Kruse, Alice Patton
- Volunteer & Activities: Stacy Prater
- Fundraising: Chuck Ahner, Natalie Dennis
Teri Williams presented on the Responsibilities of each Role:
- President: Assigns tasks; runs Board meetings; manages high-level activities of the Spirit Committee Board
- Vice-President: Works in tandem with the President; assumes all duties in the President’s absence.
- Finance: Manages the finances of the 501(c)(3)
- Secretary: Takes minutes for each meeting; publishes minutes to a public site
- Communications: Responsible for all email communication with 2023 parents (in coordination with Presidents); manages website and Facebook page
- Design: Manages the Coin Design team
- Volunteer & Activities: Coordinates and manages volunteer groups (i.e. coin packaging and delivery)
Teri Williams presented on the options of organizing under an independent 501(c)(3) versus Parent Booster USA. Being able to pass this legal entity onto the next Gold Class in four years is a secondary goal we want to meet. Pros/Cons of each option has an approximate turnaround time of one week.
Katie Silvis presented on a Fundraising Concept previous classes have used: parent donations with a Tiered Concept:
- Cadet Supporter – $5 – $125
- Cadet Sponsor – $125 purchase price for 4 coins
- Silver – $250
- Gold – $500
- Platinum – $1000
- Co-Pilot – $2023
Exclusive level: sponsor receives all 4 coins in commemorative display case
- One time payments or scheduled payments/deductions
- Other sale items are parent keepsakes and not a major fundraiser
Tiffani Wills presented on the options for the organization’s Social Media presence. The website will be used as a reference communications tool, whereas the Facebook page will be used for more instant real-time communications.
- Tiffani Wills and/or Michelle Kay will only post what content is given to them by other Board members.
- They will seek Design Directives for Social Media from the Design Committee.
- All email communications from Social Media will be forwarded to Teri Williams and any of Teri’s responses, the Communications Chairs will pass along to the original source.
The legal name of this organization is USAFA Gold Class Spirit Committee; possibly aka USAFA 2023 Spirit Committee.
Website domain name is: USAFA2023Spirit.org
The Facebook page name is: USAFA 2023 Spirit
Board E-mail address for use in communicating with the Parent Liaison: 2023USAFASpirit@gmail.com Teri Williams will monitor this account.
Social Media E-mail address: ParentSpirit2023@gmail.com Tiffani Wills and Michelle Kay will monitor this account.
Fundraising will be primarily via Parent Donations. Any other sale items will be for parent keepsakes.
Signatories on the bank accounts will be the Co-Presidents, Teri Williams and Katie Silvis and the Finance Co-Chairs, Dan Cabo and Stacy Prater.
The Design for the BCT Congratulations postcards is the Falcon Design and the cards will be addressed as Cadets.
Minutes will be publicly posted on the website.
Action Items/Next Steps
Dan Cabo and Jean Simons Anderson will research the pros/cons and legalities of organizing as a 501(c)(3) versus with Parent Booster USA and report to Teri Williams. Once the decision is finalized, will setup the legal organization.
Dan Cabo and Jean Simons Anderson will research the need to clarify that we are “Doing Business As” or “Also Known As” USAFA 2023 Spirit Committee.
Dan Cabo and Stacy Prater will decide on a National bank to use.
Katie Silvis, Dan Cabo, and Stacy Prater will decide on payment methods (Paypal, Venmo, etc.).
Teri Williams will get specifics on the permission rights to use WebGuy photos in our Social Media.
Alice Patton and Tami Kruse will get photos to the Communications team, Tiffani Wills and Michelle Kay for the website and Facebook pages.
Tiffani Wills and Michelle Kay will get the Facebook up and running. Once they have a financial method to pay for website domain, they will get the website up and running.
Natalie Dennis and David Amstutz will finalize a Tiered Structure for parent donations and communicate that to the Co-Presidents as well as Tiffani Will and Michelle Kay.
The next meeting of the USAFA Gold Class Spirit Committee will be in approximately two weeks. Details will be forthcoming from the Co-Presidents.